Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cool Weather = 1 Cooking Mama!

The cool weather has arrived, let the cooking and baking begin!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, fall baking.  My kids were so excited the other morning when they heard I was baking breakfast.  Only goodness comes from our oven at that time of day.  No worries of questionable casseroles or icky vegetables they will not eat.  No my friends, the breakfast baking hour is brought to you by..... all things warm and yummy!

We started this week off with these, oh-so-yummy, Cinnamon Popovers.
I made these using a recipe I found in my prized issue of Chickens from Hobby Farms.

Here is their recipe:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup whole milk 
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
vegetable oil cooking spray (to grease the pan)

Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position, and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Place an empty 12-muffin tin in the oven to heat, while you make the batter.
Whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter in a large (2-cup minimum) measuring cup.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once.
Whisk together lightly, just until blended.  Batter will be thin, small lumps in the batter are OK.  No not overmix the batter!  The more you beat it, the less puffy and tall your popovers will be.
Pour the batter into the large measuring cup; this will make it easier to pour into the muffin cups.
Remove the hot muffin tin from the oven and lightly spray each cup and the pan rim with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Fill each cup halfway with batter and return the pan immediately to the hot oven.
Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, without opening the oven door.
Then, lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake 15 to 20 more minutes, until the popovers are a rich brown color.
Serve the popovers warm with butter (or honey, jam, jelly or your favorite fruit preserves).

Now there are a few tips listed in the magazine but you will have to take a trip to Wal-Mart to get your own prized issue for those tips *Smile*.  I am telling you this is a GREAT magazine.  Well for those of us who love chickens and recipes to use those glorious eggs, it is.

*I used 1% milk and they were still as yummy as I had hoped*

I did find that my oven cooked a bit too hot for this recipe.  I will have to adjust the time or the temp. when I make these next time.  They were a little too done for my liking.  They were perfectly puffy.  I drizzled honey inside mine while the kids dressed the theirs in various jellies and jams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment